Working well in all situations these traditional fixed appliances (commonly called braces) come in metal and ceramic variations.
For the vast majority of Orthodontic patients dental braces are still a major part of their treatment. Time-tested, teeth braces remain popular because they are a reliable, effective and economical treatment.
With the choice of ceramic braces available at our local orthodontist in Perth, braces are now far less noticeable, as they blend in with the tooth’s natural colour.
Metal vs Ceramic: Which Should You Choose?
Over the years, the types of brackets used in traditional metal braces have significantly evolved. Orthodontic treatment with these braces has become more effective and comfortable at the same time.
Metal and ceramic both provide great results in moving teeth. Aesthetically, however, many patients would choose ceramic braces, especially those who do not like the idea of having a “metal mouth.” Ceramic braces easily mimic the colour of the teeth, so they are not as obvious as metal braces. It should be noted, though, that ceramic braces are more expensive than traditional braces.
To help you decide which one is better for you, answer these questions:
- Are you okay with noticeable wires and brackets of your braces?
- Do you play rough sports? Are you generally active throughout the day?
- Is your mouth sensitive?
- Do you have a severe case that may require more corrections than average?
- Do you like to drink coffee, wine, or tea?
If most of your answers to the above questions are “yes,” you will surely do great with metal braces. Still, you need the help of your orthodontist who will provide you with a definite plan to help you with the best solution for your case.
What Can Metal and Ceramic Braces Do For You?
Braces do more than just straighten your teeth.
Whether you are wearing metal or ceramic braces, you can benefit from the following:
- When your teeth are crooked or crowded, they can create tight spaces that are difficult to brush and floss. Therefore, bacteria and plaque can quickly build up. Having straight teeth, thanks to wearing braces, can align the teeth properly so that you can avoid tooth decay and gum disease. Your teeth do not just affect your oral health, but your overall health as well. When your jaws are misaligned, you could experience bite problems that can lead to abnormal stress to certain teeth and other parts of the mouth. Braces can contribute to better health because they help reduce the risk of potentially hazardous pressure due to an incorrect bite.
- Speech difficulties may be due to how the teeth are aligned. They can, therefore, cause embarrassment and often, frustration. When you wear braces, the position of your teeth will be corrected, allowing you to achieve clearer speech.
- Misaligned teeth usually leave gaps, which can lead to bone and gum tissue abrasion. Braces can help prevent erosion because straighter teeth can support the bones and tissues in the mouth.
How Does the Procedure Go?
When you visit Oasis Orthodontics, every detail will be discussed with you at your initial consultation. This way, you will feel more comfortable before proceeding with the braces procedure. Typically, it will only take about 45 minutes to an hour & more for complex cases.
The procedure includes polishing the teeth and brushing with a solution that will prime your pearls for the adhesive. Once the adhesive is applied, the brackets will be attached after. The last step involves threading the archwire and securing it with elastics.
You will receive instructions on how you should care for your braces. Make sure you follow them, so you have a healthy mouth and see great results in the end!
Are You Too Old to Wear Braces?
There is no age limit for wearing braces! More and more adults now wear braces, just like teens. In fact, about 30% of orthodontic patients in 2016 were over 20 years old. Some even had the procedure for the second time around because their teeth started moving again as they got older.
Braces are for everyone. When you need to align your bite and straighten your teeth, braces can help. If you are more conscious about how the braces look, ceramic braces – if they suit your case – can be a good choice for adults.
How Long Do You Need to Wear Your Braces?
The treatment can last for six to 12 months. Some cases may require up to 30 months, depending on how severe the orthodontic problem is.
Does Wearing Braces Mean You Have to Stop Playing Sports?
If you are wearing traditional braces, you should not worry about the durability of the metal. You can continue playing sports as well, even if you wear ceramic. However, we highly recommend that you wear mouthguards, especially when playing rough sports.
How Often Should You Visit Your Orthodontist?
Appointments will be scheduled depending on your requirements. Most people who wear braces visit Oasis Orthodontics every four to five weeks. Others visit once every ten weeks. If there is a specific situation that needs to be monitored, schedules will be adjusted to ensure the best results for you.